7283 Highway NC 42 West Suite 102-335, Raleigh, NC 27603, Phone: (800)437-1695 or (919)602-3983, Fax: (844)331-2861

Representative Payee Services



GFS provides financial management services for individuals identified by both the Department of Veterans Affairs and Social Security Administration as needing help managing their VA, Social Security, and Supplemental Security Income (SSI) benefits who do not have a capable or willing family member or friend.

Once we are authorized by the Social Security Administration to become a client’s Representative Payee, the Social Security Administration will send the client’s benefits to us to manage on the client’s behalf. The client’s Social Security benefit(s) will be used to address needs in the following order:

1. Basic needs (i.e. food, shelter and clothing);

2. Medical and dental needs not covered by health insurance;

3. Personal needs such as medication co-pays, and recreational  activities.

Note: Payments are limited to available funds.


Who needs a Rep Payee?

The Social Security Administration (SSA) assumes that adult beneficiaries are capable of managing their money unless there is legal, medical, or lay evidence to the contrary. 

When SSA determines a beneficiary cannot manage his/her benefits accordingly, SSA will appoint a payee to manage Social Security and/or SSI benefits. SSA will never appoint a representative payee solely for a beneficiary’s convenience or personal preference. 

Once Social Security assigns you a payee, they will send you a letter telling you that they have decided to pay your benefits to a payee. If you don't agree that you need a payee, or if you want a different payee, you have 60 days to appeal that decision by sending them a letter.

Beneficiaries who are unable to manage or direct the management of their money need a payee. These beneficiaries fall into three categories:

1. Minor children under the age of 15 (For children under the ages of 15-17, SSA policy requires a representative payee, unless an exception is granted);

2. Legally incompetent adults (If your organization is a legal guardian for a beneficiary, you will need to submit a copy of the court appointment to SSA); and

3. Disabled adults who are determined by the SSA to be incapable, and who SSA has determined to have a drug addiction or alcohol (DAA) condition.


Getting Started

If you or someone you know is in need of our services, please fill out our Rep Payee Application and send it back to us to get the process started.

Applicants will be notified of received and reviewed applications within 1 to 2 business days.